BootlegZone

Made for and by bootleg lovers
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
White Wolf
 Post subject: Bad Trader - Dr. Ebbetts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:44 pm 

God I hate having to do this. You've cut off communication with me after dropping me from your list and blocked my emails. I want my records back. You have my Liverpool box set, my Monkees LPs including two copies of headquarters, The Monkees first album, The Monkees Second album, The Birds, The Bees and the Monkees Canadian Mono, and the LP which I paid you to transfer, which you made me wait for 4 firggin months and then refunded my money and still haven't returned my mint copy of the album. I'm guessing that you are reading these posts or at least have been informed as to thier content. In addition I was promised FREE copies of the Liverpool box set in exchange for use of the records. So far I have PAID for all copies of the BOX SET from you. How quick we forget. You made money off these albums I lent to you and you don't need to keep them any longer. I have addressed this issue before and I am tired of asking. SEND ME MY ALBUMS BACK.

Thanks for nothin' - Dr. Jerkoff.

thepopshoppe
 Post subject: Re: Bad Trader - Dr. Ebbetts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 pm 

Seems the good doctor has become a Mr. Hyde - good luck I hope you don't get screwed
His work is great but after reading about hom lately I belive his ethics are terrible..........is that the right word?

White Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:37 am 

thepopshoppe wrote:
Seems the good doctor has become a Mr. Hyde - good luck I hope you don't get screwed
His work is great but after reading about hom lately I belive his ethics are terrible..........is that the right word?

The thing that set Ebbetts apart from a hundred other people was his discs. Yes he did a good job on his CD inserts, and yes he did nice transfers, but the discs were the most important thing.

Think about it. When you buy a CD the first thing you do is look at the disc. You flip it over to see if there are any scratches on it. But if the disc is green or blue, you know something is wrong. He was one of the first to use CDR's with a silver play surface. In addition, those thermal printed faces looked downright legit. The high gloss labels used by others looked good, but they had thier own problems. Sometimes they came off the disc. The glue on the labels can destroy the recorded music, and all it takes is a tiny spec of dirt to ruin an applicaton.

I never did like the pre-cut Neato insert's he used with the jagged edges. But the art wasn't bad. His inner books looked terrible on the matt surface. Such a contrast to the outer gloss surface of the book.

I remember thinking when he first introduced his new club CDs. Wow - it's going to hard to duplicate this. He was using those special cases from Jewelboxing. Then he screwed himself by offering the CDs in standard jewel cases.

Back to the CD's themselves. The biggest challenge he had to face was not from EMI, it was from Epson and Silver faced printable CDR's. Those full color labeled discs were probably why he spent $7000+ on a new Rimage printer. He needed to do something to compete.

markshan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:59 am 

White Wolf wrote:
The biggest challenge he had to face was not from EMI, it was from Epson and Silver faced printable CDR's. Those full color labeled discs were probably why he spent $7000+ on a new Rimage printer.

What's the world coming to when any schmuck can replicate a bootlegger's work?

White Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:03 am 

markshan wrote:
White Wolf wrote:
The biggest challenge he had to face was not from EMI, it was from Epson and Silver faced printable CDR's. Those full color labeled discs were probably why he spent $7000+ on a new Rimage printer.

It's just not that hard to do. A lot of the inkjet printed stuff looked better than the mono-chrome thermal discs. And anyone with a scanner and a printer can duplicate the jackets and trays.

Brainwashed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 pm 

White Wolf wrote:
markshan wrote:
White Wolf wrote:

It's just not that hard to do. A lot of the inkjet printed stuff looked better than the mono-chrome thermal discs. And anyone with a scanner and a printer can duplicate the jackets and trays.

Why don't you offer up some of YOUR work and let's compare? Ron

markshan
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:35 pm 

The operative word being "offer".

White Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:37 pm 

Brainwashed wrote:
White Wolf wrote:
markshan wrote:
White Wolf wrote:

What do you want to see, Ron? My original's, or copies of someone elses stuff?

White Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm 

markshan wrote:
The operative word being "offer".

I don't have a website, or a customer list. I do have an open offer to trade Ebbett's originals for original Yellow Dogs, Vigotones, or mini-lps of Love Songs or Rock N Roll Music. I am also interested in some CD Maximum titles that I can't get anymore.

Brainwashed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:13 pm 

White Wolf wrote:
Brainwashed wrote:
White Wolf wrote:
markshan wrote:
White Wolf wrote:

I wasn't aware you did your own artwork, or had anything of your own to offer? I've got just about everything from fan releases and labels (boot and official). Who does better artwork than Ebbett's? I realize some fans offer hi-rez, downloadable sleeve artwork, but who does color CD and graphics better than Ebbett's? You make it sound as if anyone can knock off high quality artwork. Ron

White Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm 

Brainwashed wrote:
White Wolf wrote:
Brainwashed wrote:
White Wolf wrote:
markshan wrote:
White Wolf wrote:

I wasn't aware you did your own artwork, or had anything of your own to offer? I've got just about everything from fan releases and labels (boot and official). Who does better artwork than Ebbett's? I realize some fans offer hi-rez, downloadable sleeve artwork, but who does color CD and graphics better than Ebbett's? You make it sound as if anyone can knock off high quality artwork. Ron

I have my own stuff. It's just not widely circulated. Some of it has been re-copied and circulated by others. What Im saying is that the only reason Ebbetts stuff stands out is because he own a $7000 rimage color printer. Most people won't spend that much money on a disc printer. All of his trays and books can be easily reproduced with almost any inkjet printer if you use Neato High Gloss inserts. It's just a question of how bad you want to do it, and how high your standards are. I began making my own US Capitol CDs back when CD recorders first became available. I scanned in the covers and re-assembled the scans to make CD inserts. I used high gloss labels, and was doing accurate record label reproductions before I ever met Dr. Ebbetts. I had people lend me thier records and I did needledrops and then gave them copies of what I produced. I also returned thier records. I did a lot of non-beatles titles, stuff that was not on CD. Most of it is now on officially issued CDs, so I don't make them anymore. At one point, I paid Ebbetts to make up silver discs for some of my favorites. There are probably only 10 - 20 copies of anything I ever concieved in existence with Ebbetts discs. He printed the discs on his Rimage, and when I got them I burned the music onto them. I do not now, and never have had a web site. I also don't maintain a customer list.

bipbop13
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:20 pm 

well, kind of off-topic now. Is dr. Ebbetts a thief or are you just mad about something else & using that to cause trouble? Because I don't see a lot of raised eyebrows over your claims that he stole from you....And there should be with as many ebbett worshipers as there are on this site. So lets have the story again....the WHOLE story, and if its true its a big problem, because maybe others are waiting to get their stuff back as well.

Where I Do Movie Reviews (not for the kids)

markshan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:40 am 

You'd still be a mod if all yours posts were as reasoned. :thx:

bipbop13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:06 am 

markshan wrote:
You'd still be a mod if all yours posts were as reasoned. :thx:

Thank you....I had my crazy button removed :wink:

ringosshed
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:40 am 

bipbop13 wrote:
well, kind of off-topic now. Is dr. Ebbetts a thief or are you just mad about something else & using that to cause trouble? Because I don't see a lot of raised eyebrows over your claims that he stole from you....And there should be with as many ebbett worshipers as there are on this site. So lets have the story again....the WHOLE story, and if its true its a big problem, because maybe others are waiting to get their stuff back as well.

Good point. If it where me me I'd drop a dime on him unless he returns them pronto. I'm assuming he has Ebbett's address or PO Box.
Saying that I have never heard an allegation that Ebbett's has ever done this in the past. i doubt he'll show up here to clear his name.

White Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:43 am 

bipbop13 wrote:

Ok, I was on this mailing list and got removed. I demanded an immediate refund if he removed me, and I got it, to the tune of almost $300. But I was also promised that he would return my LPs that he still had, and I gave him a list. I have not gotten them back. I have heard nothing from him snice then.

If you are on his list and think you may have been removed, you should email him, and ask for a refund of any dues paid in advance, and monies paid for new product. By now you should have recieved your February Discs, and all your March Discs. I reminded him that I had not gotten my February discs and we were well into March. I was hoping he would have emailed me and addressed my complaints about the LPs. No emails, and apparently he is ignoring this thread, although with all his spies I'm sure he is aware of them.

My personal opinion is that he is going to shut down completely without warning and keep all the monies. I may be wroing - that's just my opinion. He was really, really, really pissed that I would not give up the name of the member who told me about his "if you get this letter your are safe" His final statement was " I cannot trust anyone, and it's my ASS on the line." You can read into that what you will.

If all that was lost were some LPs - so be it. I hate to think everyone lost their money and CDs also.

markshan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 am 

I'm so glad I've never been on "the list". I will once again say how nice it was of him to send me a free sample though.

TJT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 am 

Location: Away in the Mind, beyond the finite, lives another Magician...
Hmmm, you could always say to him, give me my albums back or I have this nice envelop ready to go with your mailing address to the RIAA. Sorry to his fans, but he has turned into a money-grubber [no matter the arguments to the contrary] and stealing your vinyl should have even his most ardent fans protesting against him.

pbthal
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 am 

This guy is really a piece of work but a true marketing genius. He gets a few folks to say how awesome his stuff sounds and the ball is rolling, more sheep follow because there is nothing else out there, by the time alternatives to his poor transfers appear he has been made into a god and his legions will rally around him and his inner circle will even lie for him. The Internet is funny that way, you can get 5 people to say something sounds awesome and others will follow, and when one person looks up and turns around and goes..HEY...this sounds bad...everyone freaks out..no way does this sound bad....other people told me it was great.

Right now there are no fewer than 10 people I know of that blow Dr. Ebbett's away from a transfer perspective, why ANYONE would pay, let alone loan the liar records is beyond me, but I feel for your loss.

Of course...the good doctor may have contracted pneumonia again, that seems to happen whenever he gets caught in a lie

bipbop13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:48 am 

pbthal wrote:
This guy is really a piece of work but a true marketing genius. He gets a few folks to say how awesome his stuff sounds and the ball is rolling, more sheep follow because there is nothing else out there, by the time alternatives to his poor transfers appear he has been made into a god and his legions will rally around him and his inner circle will even lie for him. The Internet is funny that way, you can get 5 people to say something sounds awesome and others will follow, and when one person looks up and turns around and goes..HEY...this sounds bad...everyone freaks out..no way does this sound bad....other people told me it was great.

Right now there are no fewer than 10 people I know of that blow Dr. Ebbett's away from a transfer perspective, why ANYONE would pay, let alone loan the liar records is beyond me, but I feel for your loss.

Of course...the good doctor may have contracted pneumonia again, that seems to happen whenever he gets caught in a lie

and you remember this is about his stealing at least one persons property & not about his drops or who likes them, correct? I know you may not like him, but lets keep it for the correct reason as far as this topic goes. I'm not trying to be a mod, I'm trying to keep people on topic, because this has the potential to be HUGE if 1.its all true & 2.maybe there are others who have this happening to them as well. It could end up with the good Doctor in jail for theft. People may not want that, but its up to him to come forward, or at least return everything lent to him in good faith.

Macca
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:02 am 

I find it strange that he has lent some of your records but decides to not include you on his mailing list. :?

What do you think the reason for that was?

White Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 am 

TJT wrote:
Hmmm, you could always say to him, give me my albums back or I have this nice envelop ready to go with your mailing address to the RIAA. Sorry to his fans, but he has turned into a money-grubber [no matter the arguments to the contrary] and stealing your vinyl should have even his most ardent fans protesting against him.

Believe me, I thought about that. But I would never turn someone over to EMI or the RIAA. I just want to get my records back. He's blocked my emails so I can't contact him direct.

White Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:09 am 

Macca wrote:
I find it strange that he has lent some of your records but decides to not include you on his mailing list. :?

I went through that on the other thread. I was on the list. I refused to give up a name of another member who told me about a communication I had not seen.

bipbop13
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 am 

White Wolf wrote:
Macca wrote:

I went through that on the other thread. I was on the list. I refused to give up a name of another member who told me about a communication I had not seen.

Ok then, maybe someone who has seen this thread can contact him for you....hopefully someone can PM you and you can do this behind the scenes so to speak. As for the reason of the theft, it doesn't really matter. He has your stuff & you want it back, plain & simple. So hopefully someone on here can give a shout out & get you in contact with him, directly or otherwise, so you can get your items back. And you should keep us up to date on here as well, so others can see what is transpiring & potentially protect themselves from having their rare items stolen by him as well.

TJT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 am 

Location: Away in the Mind, beyond the finite, lives another Magician...
White Wolf wrote:
TJT wrote:

Believe me, I thought about that. But I would never turn someone over to EMI or the RIAA. I just want to get my records back. He's blocked my emails so I can't contact him direct.

He has stolen your merchandise, and you want to throw away your one bargaining chip? Obviously, he isn't going to "do the right thing" and all the "honor" talk in previous threads is out the window. And I don't see his "minions" running to his defense on this one as in times past.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next